With a passion for building great web applications and more than 12 years of industry experience, I have the skills and expertise to exceed the expectations of my clients and employers. My valuable technical and interpersonal skill sets have seen me hired to work in a wide range of roles - both technical and consultancy based.
Although I'm highly proficient in the full web development stack, I specialize in technologies that enhance user experience in the front end.
I deliver tangible results
My focus when building web applications is on creating a truly great user experience. I achieve this by maximizing data density while maintaining a task centric approach to user interaction. This approach reduces the cognitive burden on the user while delivering maximal information through the interface. This results in more effective staff and satisfied customers.
Skills & Expertise
In web development, I believe that great results come from the ability to identify and learn the best tool for each solution - occasionally this means reaching outside your current skillset. If I'm not familiar with a language or tool, I will learn it within hours, not days. The skills listed below reflect experience in real projects and are self rated.
Bachelor of Information Technology (BITC) with a major in Information Systems Development
University of Southern Queensland
My Development Ethos
I take a technology agnostic approach to web development and am a firm believer that finding the best technological fit for a problem and organization is vital. I proactively research new technologies and am constantly searching for better solutions to old problems (such as accessibility and cross browser compatibility). Above all, developers and IT professionals should take responsibility for what they do and take pride in their work.
Freelance Work (since October 2011)
Some of the most interesting and challenging work of my career has been during my period as a freelancer. Being solely responsible for the end result has given me a greater satisfaction from the quality work that I produce. The freedom of freelancing has allowed me to explore cutting edge technologies and rapidly expand my skills.
A fully-fledged e-learning and student management system for higher education. Built on a full Ubuntu LAMP stack with MongoDB and Varnish for scalability.
- Automated server management through puppet to scale support services enabling many clients to be serviced from a small team.
- HTML5 file uploads - including progress bars and multiple concurrent file uploads.
- Other technology used in the project included CSS3 (compiled with SASS), HTML5 and a REST service back-end built using Symfony 2.
A point of sale vehicle rental system used by the two largest hardware stores in Australia. Built on a full Ubuntu LAMP stack with MongoDB GridFS for document storage.
- Mobile web application using new HTML5 fields to deliver a more streamlined experience when using the application in the field.
- Vehicle damage tracking system to record damage incurred to vehicles and inventory.
- Configurable hire rate calcualtion system which allows different hire rate calculation per hire types providing the best rate for customers.
- Multi time-zone application where stores across the country hire and store data according to their time-zone.
- Other technology used in the project included Twitter Bootstrap (compiled with SASS), on the fly PDF generation and a custom reporting framework including graph generation.
Crowd Funding Application
Crowd Funding LAMP web application for a yet to be launched crowd funding startup based in Australia.
- Startup profile management including rich html editing tools and file upload facilities.
- Startup listing, share allocation and value calculation functions including management of the different stages of investment.
- Custom built content management system for the client to manage the content of the web application.
- Project was built on Symfony 2 from a cut-up design provided by the client with CKEditor used for the editing functionality.
Daily Deals Application
Daily deals application for two independent daily deals operations. Deployed to a customized Ubuntu LAMP stack.
- A Groupon style web application where daily deals are advertised, including the ability to manage deal expiry and values.
- Abstracted templating system allowing for different template implementations for the independent clients.
- Deal purchase processing including confirmation emails and PayPal integration.
- Project was built on Symfony 2 from with cut-up designs provided by the client.
Various WordPress plugins and customizations deployed into a LAMP environment:
- Adapting WP-Property plugin to suit a boat broker with some additional functionality, specialized queries and theme implementation.
- Customizing Shopp on various projects including a custom gateway implementation and product catalogue augmentations.
- A Job Roller implementation for a client providing recruitment services.
Since 2001 I have been working for various organizations in the area of web development. This has included project roles ranging from business analysis to back-end development and has allowed me to gain a deep understanding for the IT requirements of large and small organizations alike. For brievity experience prior to 2009 has been omitted but is available on request.
Senior Developer at CSG Ltd / NECIT (2011 and 2012)
At CSG (who were later bought out by NECIT) worked with Microsoft Dynamics CRM as a Senior Developer. The role allowed me to not only gain experience with Microsoft Dynamics CRM but also imparted an understanding of how pluggable enterprise systems (such as Dynamics CRM) are built. This understating has given me greater insight into how systems designed to be a platform should be implemented.
- Development of C# workflows and plugins and ASP.Net pages to customized the MSCRM environment.
- Integration of the transaction processing platform eWAY into CRM customizations.
Web Application Development Consultant at Datacom Systems Qld (2010 to 2011)
At Datacom I worked as a consultant designing and developing web based solutions for customers. These applications included bespoke ASP.Net MVC, Corporate Websites and Collaboration Portals. Within my team I was known as a ‘go-to’ or ‘gun’ developer by my peers and managers due to my commitment to quality, pragmatic nature and a proactive attitude. I was rewarded for my hard efforts by receiving the Employee of the Quarter for my business unit three times.
- Development and 24/7 support for a large government department website that sustained 9 million hits on a single day without failing or suffering any functionality loss.
- Development of an e-commerce website utilizing an service-orientated architecture (SOA) to communicate with a back-end system via JSON.
- Business Analyst on a large B2B pharmaceutical portal with social media capabilities and inbuilt customer training tools.
- I was also responsible for many smaller projects including Solution Design, Tender Responses, Systems Migration, Application Support, Systems Analysis and Application Maintenance.
Web Development Lead at Titan Interactive (2009 to 2010)
My main responsibility at Titan was the maintenance and development of a custom in-house content management system. This included development of the product and analysis and recommendations for the technical direction of the application. In addition to this role, I provided additional value to the client in the development of side projects. I was known for my ability to help train and coach others in the team, enriching their development skillset, encouraging best practice and enforcing responsible coding.
- Trained staff in development practices to increase the capacity of the development team.
- Developed a Medical Professional social networking portal.
- Improved the stability of the product and implemented many architectural improvements.